Thursday, October 13, 2016

A Sense Of Urgency

New tires to test with time running out.....
Yesterday it kind of struck me, somewhat like a cold slap in the face, because....well, it was! Cold that is. Thirty degrees colder than the day before with cold rain in the forenoon and gusty winds out of the Northwest all day. So, why all the urgency?

Because Fall is halfway over with, and Winter isn't far off. Consider that Thanksgiving is only six weeks away. Generally speaking, in a "normal" year, that's about the end of clear roads and trails, since snow usually comes to clog things up around then. So, the way I figure it, I've got six weeks to get a lot of stuff squared away for the year.

Maybe the weather will be sort of kind, like last year when I rode right up to Christmas time on the gravel roads, but I ain't bettin' on that. Nope. No way. I have to get a few reviews done, and if I am real lucky, I'll squeeze out that Cup-O-Dirt challenge requirement before the weather shuts me down. Trouble is, I have other duties to consider that also demand my time.....right now. Mainly they all are related to Trans Iowa. I have the recon Saturday, the lottery drawing Sunday, (if I get a bunch more cards, which looks less likely now), and then the last registration for the Rookies to keep track of and have a lottery for, (possibly), by the end of this month.

Yesterday I spent four hours locking down the first two thirds of the course for Trans Iowa and I still have to write mock cues and do the tail end of the route before Saturday. So, that all means that all of this riding stuff gets pushed aside to make way to get more of that done as well. Oh yeah.....did I mention that there may be a big ride at the end of the month? No? Well, things seem up in the air concerning that but I've been assured that is happening. When I know more than that, I can say something, but that's all I know. Vague, yes, but it is what it is.

Anyway, suffice it to say that I feel my feet over the fire and I've got a lot to get crackin' on before the hourglass drains the last grain of sand to the bottom.

No comments: