Saturday, June 01, 2013

Gravel Mutt Project: Update

B-17 in Ochre
A mini- update on the Gravel Mutt Project today. For those of you that are just catching on here, the Gravel Mutt Project is an exercise in how to do a pretty decent gravel road build from an older steel frame. In this case, an early 90's vintage Trek 520 frame and fork.

The overarching goal is to get a bike that will perform quite well at minimal cost. The details on how I am accomplishing this will be shared later, but for now, I am basically telling the story as it happens. So far the frame and fork have been stripped of components and are currently in a state of getting painted, by me, on the cheap, of course.

As for that paint job, I have been wet sanding it smooth and another coat will be going on once the weather cooperates and I can make time to do some more spray bombing! In the meantime, I have ordered a new saddle for the bike. Yeah......I know! I should use what I have on hand, but I am a firm believer in making contact points a priority. I know I will get on with a B-17, as I have one on my Singular Gryphon. That saddle works really well on gravel for me, so I thought it would be a sharp looking saddle in ochre which should contrast well with the "camo" paint job I am doing.

Anyway, that is the update for now. I am still well on my way to getting this done before the GTDRI, which this bike might be ridden at. Stay tuned for more......

No comments: