Thursday, October 14, 2010

Wired

Is this the best Fall riding weather or what? The string of great days for riding are stretching into the unbelievable realm with Wednesday being another picture-perfect fall day to ride on. I was feeling well enough that I went on up to the Camp to see the fall colors there and whatever else I could.

Here are a few images of the day that I captured. It was still early enough in the morning that the lighting was pretty cool.



The trees reflected in the calm waters of the Cedar River.











A little further down the river, I stopped to see the eagle's nest. (It is the dark, inverted triangular shape in the tree in the upper center here). No residents could be seen today. they must have been out fishing!









Here's a closer view. It is so big, a man could easily get inside this thing. I understand that these nests are continually enlarged, but I don't know how much more this tree can take! Another interesting thing is that this nest withstands the wintry blasts and summertime storms we get. Pretty amazing stuff when you consider it.






Unfortunately some boneheaded individual decided to string a wire across the trail and it got entangled in my rear hub/wheel. I took about 15 minutes to dislodge this. That was okay with me, since I was riding a single speed, and I didn't get thrown off my bike. Had I been on a geared rig, and going fast, I would have destroyed a rear derailleur and possibly injured myself. Not cool!

Of course, it was impossible to tell just whether or not this was intentional, but I have my suspicions.....



You can see how the wire was twisted together to form a longer length. To stretch it across the trail?

Maybe. Hard to say, but I was fortunate not to do any damage to my bicycle or myself.

If you go to ride at The Camp, just be careful! I'm not sure what is going on, but after this, I lost my appetite for riding there, and I went back home. It isn't likely I'll be back again until after things get cleared out next spring either. I can't afford damaged or broken components, or possible injury due to the careless, (or possibly malicious), actions of someone with a wire fetish.

It's too bad too. The Camp is a great place to mountain bike. One of the best in the area too. But this sort of thing is ridiculous, and until I know it has been cleared up, I ain't goin back.

1 comment:

Small Adventures said...

'm glad you didn't get bucked off going fast too,my friend! And I'd MUCH rather hear "the bike is damaged",than "GT is hurt".

Kool beans on the eagle's nest. Pic doesn't do it's reported size justice,wish I could see one in person,LOL!

Rained here Wednesday (and all night,and right now,and...),but should be good riding weather-if a bit cooler (under normal temps predicted),hoping to get to =)

Steve